Near West Side BID #10
On behalf of the Near West Side Business Improvement District #10, we would like to welcome you to our newly expanded BID!
About the NWS BID #10
As you may know, the NWS BID #10 is a recent expansion of the former Avenues West Association BID. Starting in January 2016, the BID will be expanded to encompass the entire Near West Side of Milwaukee to enable us to bring our successful work to the rest of the Near West Side.
Among other efforts, your BID works to:
- Strengthen our neighborhood and businesses
- Promote and market the area's many assets
- Improve the overall appearance and image of the Near West Side business corridors
- Develop and implement crime reduction and safety strategies
Visit our Business Toolkit page to learn about the resources that are available to you as you start or invest in your new business in the Near West Side.
NWS BID #10 Meetings & Events
Please stay tuned for a complete list of upcoming events and meetings about the NWS BID #10.
If you've been a part of the BID in the past, you'll benefit from our enhanced resources and footprint. If you are part of the newly expanded area, welcome! You will find that being a member of the BID provides many benefits to your business and the community in which you operate.
A BID provides many benefits to the community it serves. Some key initiatives of a BID are:
- A cleaner, safer and more attractive business district
- Steady and reliable funding provided through assessments of member businesses that support supplemental services and programs
- The potential to increase property values, improve sales, and decrease commercial vacancy rates
As a member of the NWS BID #10, you help support - and benefit from - a wide range of programs that help us establish and enhance our commercial corridors, including:
- Camera Asset Mapping
- Façade Grants
- Signage Programs
- Business Promotions
- Networking/Community Connections
- Graffiti Removal
- Architectural Support
- Small Business Loans
We encourage you to complete the NWS BID #10 Welcome Registration to let us know how we can best serve you in the year ahead.
What is a Business Improvement District (BID)?
Under Wisconsin law (Wis. Stat. s66.608), business property owners can petition the City to form a Business Improvement District in their community. The BID provides a mechanism for property owners to voluntarily assess themselves to pay for programs that will revitalize or improve their shared community, increase property value and make the area safer and more attractive to customers, employees and visitors. The BID is governed by a board of directors, made up of representatives from among the property owners, that help to prioritize the programs that will have the greatest positive impact on the area served.
NWS BID #10 Board of Directors:
- Tony Coleman – WISN-TV (V. Chair)
- Dan Naumann – Great Lakes Commercial Sales
- Rana Altenburg – Office of Public Affairs, Marquette University
- Richard (Rick) Wiegand – Wiegand Enterprises / Ambassador Hotel (Chair)
- Marna Boyle – Pettibone Mansion (Secretary)
- Thomas (Tom) Schmitt – (Treasurer)
- John Hennessy – Hennessy Group, Inc.
- Jason Tolleson – Harley Davidson
- Aaron Martinez – MillerCoors